Firestone Walker Brewing Company’s Anniversary Ale is wildly popular among beer fans. If you ask me, it’s because the brewery pays extremely close attention to the blending process.
Firestone Walker XVIII is a barrel aged blend of nine different beers, blended by not only the brewery, but 14 winemakers. The group is paired off, each making their own blends from the component beers. The choice blends are presented to the group to be blind tasted. Most votes becomes Firestone Walker Anniversary Ale.
The final blend (what you’re waiting to see) includes two collaboration beers Firestone Walker created with Three Floyds (Ol’ Leghorn) and Flying Dog (Hydra Cuvée).
Firestone Walker XVII is:
- Parabola – Russian Imperial Oatmeal Stout, aged in Bourbon Barrels. 38% of Final Blend
- Helldorado – Blonde Barleywine, Aged in bourbon and brandy Barrels. 16% of Final Blend
- Bravo – Imperial Brown Ale, aged in bourbon & brandy barrels. 16% of Final Blend
- Stickee Monkee – Quadrupel, aged in bourbon & Whiskey Barrels. 14% of Final Blend
- Velvet Merkin – Oatmeal stout, aged in bourbon barrels. 5% of Final Blend
- Hydra Cuvée – Hoppy Dark Ale, collaboration with Flying Dog, aged bourbon barrels. 4% of Final Blend.
- Wookey Jack – Black Rye IPA. 3% of Final Blend
- Ol’ Leghorn – Blonde Barleywine aged in American Oak Barrels. 3 Floyds collaboration. 2% of Final Blend
- Double Jack – Imperial IPA. 2% of Final Blend
Firestone Walker is a blend of 227 barrels, and 9 different beers. XVII will be available in 227 barrels, and will be available in 22oz bombers.
Style: American Strong Ale (Barrel Aged. Bourbon, Whiskey, Brandy.)
Availability: 22oz Bombers. Limited Distribution.
Arrival: November, 2014