Surly Brewing (Brooklyn Center, MN) celebrates their 5th year of craft brewing in 2011. To celebrate, the brewery announced today a $20 million dollar brewery expansion. This expansion is not just any expansion. It’s intended to transform Surly’s current site into a “destination brewery”. Here’s a rundown of the expansion:
– A new 60,000 square foot building w/ roof deck garden, 250 seat bar overlooking the brewery, 30 ft bar.
– The expansion creates 85 construction jobs. 150 permanent jobs.
– Production will increase by 100,000 barrels. An increase of 850% over 2010
CAVEAT: Those silly beer laws are getting in the way.
– Surly Brewing brews too much beer to sell it onsite at the brewery.
– Surly intends to work with legislators to change this law
Expansion will begin this year. No word on potential completion date.
Full story at the Surly Blog –> http://www.surlybrewing.com/brewersblog/