John I. Haas, Inc. Announces Technology Initiative “Haas Innovations”
(Yakima, WA) — John I. Haas, Inc., the leading supplier of hop products and services in the US, announces a new research and technology initiative — “Haas Innovations”…
Haas Innovations will focus on new product development, customer technical services and all technical matters related to hops. “In this increasingly competitive environment, it is more important than ever that we further expand our expertise in hops. We must continue to provide our customers with both the breadth and cutting edge product portfolio they have come to expect from us,” said Alex Barth, President. The cornerstone of the new project will be a pilot brewery, which will allow Haas to showcase its new hop products and varieties.
John I. Haas, Inc. is part of the Barth-Haas Group, which is the global leader in hop products and services. Haas Innovations is just the latest in the Group’s technology initiatives. Haas Innovations will complement the work being performed by Barth Innovations, a similar research think-tank launched last year in Europe. Haas and the other Group members will also continue to offer the Barth-Haas Hops Academy, which is an educational program directed towards the customers’ — product developers, buyers, brewers and marketing people. Since its launch in late 2010, the Group Academy already has put on 10 seminars all over the world, covering virtually all topics related to hops.
Dr. Scott Garden, Technical Director of John I. Haas, Inc., stated “Today’s announcement further positions John I. Haas, Inc. and the Barth-Haas Group as a leader in the hop industry, not just today but well into the future. By providing our technical staff the freedom and resources to innovate, Haas Innovations will prove to be
the driver of new developments and allow us to unlock the full potential of hops.” Gene Probasco, the company’s VP of Agronomy added “I am excited that the pilot brewery will allow us to better test and show case the many new varieties being developed in our joint-venture breeding program, the Hop Breeding Company”.
John I. Haas, Inc. also announced that it will construct a new building in Yakima, Washington, which will house Haas Innovations, the pilot brewery and the Company’s
office personnel. The building will be designed along the principles of sustainability.
Facts about the Barth-Haas Group
The Barth-Haas Group is the world’s largest provider of hop-related products and services. It is a leader in the following fields:
– Procurement of hops and hop products from all over the world
– Hop production and hop breeding
– Hop processing
– Storage and logistics services
– Research and development
– Application technology for the brewing and other industries
The group’s companies in Germany, Australia, the US, Great Britain and China ensure a global market presence. The companies provide customers with the world’s largest
portfolio of hop products.
The following companies belong to the Barth-Haas Group:
– John I. Haas, Inc. established in 1914, is the US leader in the field of research and development of processed hop products for both the brewing industry and other industries. The company is also a major grower and the market leader in the processing and marketing of American hops and hop products. The company is owned by the Barth family and partners.
– Joh. Barth & Sohn GmbH & Co. KG in Nuremberg was founded in 1794 and is today Germany’s market leader in the marketing of hop products from all over the world.
– Botanix Ltd., in Great Britain is the center of excellence for hop oils, “hop flavors” and hop aroma products.
– Hop Products Australia operates an intensive research program with a focus on breeding new aroma and alpha varieties, which are grown on its own farms and marketed domestically and abroad. The company is owned by the Barth family and partners.
– Barth-Haas (Bejing) Trade Co. Ltd. in the People’s Republic of China trades and processes hops for the domestic market and imports hop products from the Group.
– NATECO2 GmbH & Co. KG, a joint venture company based in Wolznach, is the world’s largest CO2 extractor of hops and natural products.
– Hopfenveredlung St. Johann GmbH & Co. KG in St. Johann, a joint venture company in Germany, owns and operates a research brewery, pellet processing plants and cold storage facilities.