Dogfish Head’s Beer For Breakfast, aka Scrapple Beer, made a return to the Dogfish Head brewpub today. The meat infused beer made news when it was first released in December of last year.
Being from Delaware, I feel like I have to tell you everything else about Dogfish Head’s Brewpub Exclusive, Beer for Breakfast, before mentioning scrapple so you stick with me.
The brewery has re-released a breakfast themed beer (in the realm of Chicory Stout, brewed with Mexican coffee, licorice root and chicory) but this time they are going all in. Well, as far as ingredients are concerned. The ingredients rundown looks like this:
- Scrapple Beer contains maple syrup from the trees at Northfield Mount Hermon High School (Sam Calagione met his wife there)
- Barley smoked over applewood from Delaware’s Fifer Orchards (Bacon anyone?)
- Lactose (Milk. or milk sugar in this case)
- Coffee from The Bean Factory in St. Paul, Minnesota, added post fermentation.
- and 25 pounds of Scrapple from Rapa’s Scrapple.
Don’t know what scrapple is? As the name suggests, it’s pork scraps with spices and corn meal. It’s crazy good, don’t knock it until you try it.
Dogfish Head Beer for Breakfast (a nod to The Replacements song, Beer For Breakfast) first debuted onDecember 5th, 2014 at a special Happy Hour. And well, again today.