Boston, Massachusetts based Boston Beer Company is releasing a new collaboration pack, features five different breweries across the United States.
The limited release 12-pack appropriately named The Brewing the American Dream Collaboration Pack. Each of the collaborators are a part of Samuel Adams Brewing the American Dream, a philanthropic initiative. The program provides loans and coaching to craft brewers and small business owners working toward the “American Dream” of small business ownership.
Samuel Adams Brewing the American Dream 12-pack contains creations from Bosque Brewing (Albuquerque, NM), ChuckAlek Independent Brewers (Ramona, CA), Woods Beer Co. ( San Francisco, CA), Brewery Rickoli (Wheat Ridge, CO), and Roc Brewing (Rochester, NY).
- Desert Kaleidoscope IPA – w/ Bosque Brewing. pays homage to the Albuquerque balloon fiesta and features a mixture of flavors including citrus, tangerine, pine and honey malt to create a brew with a bold, hoppy aroma. With a 7.0% ABV, Desert Kaleidoscope is a deep amber, medium-bodied brew that leaves a clean touch of lingering bitterness on the palate.
- Time Hop Porter – w/ ChuckAlek Independent Brewers. Driven by co-founders Grant Fraley and Marta Jankowska’s mission of creating “Old School Beers for New School Palates,” Time Hop Porter utilizes Zeus, Chinook, Cascade and Goldings hops and is 5.3% ABV. The hop character is balanced by three malt varieties: Sam Adams pale two-row blend, Crisp Brown, and Black malt. This porter has strong notes of citrus and pine that are balanced by a smooth, roasted malt character.
- ThreeNinety Bock – w/Roc Brewing Co.ThreeNinety Bock is a slightly roasted Maibock with a sweet toffee and light caramel flavor, crafted from four hop varieties, combined with rye malt and oak smoked malt. Mosaic and Hallertau Mittelfrueh hops provide the balance that gives this dark golden bock a big, juicy character and slightly sweet and dry finish. ThreeNinety is a nod to the distance in miles between Boston and Rochester.
- Boston Tea Party Saison – w/ Wood Beer Co. Boston Tea Party Saison is a bi-coastal twist on the classic Belgian style, combining Woods’s Yerba mate-infused saison with Sam Adams’ wild yeast blend, Kosmic Mother Funk. Mate’s earthy spice plays on the rippling, fruity haze of KMF’s funky bacteria, and gives a signature snap to the amber saison’s traditional dry finish.
- Oats McGoats Stout – w/ Brewery Rickoli. Oats McGoats is an American stout brewed based on founder and brewer Rick Abitbol’s commitment to brewing full-flavored, gluten-reduced beers (if they didn’t say it, you wouldn’t know). At 6.5% ABV, the full-bodied, moderately carbonated beer is accented by earthy, spicy flavors and a hint of roasted coffee notes.
The 6th offering is Boston Lager, originally a collaboration with founder Jim Koch and his father, using his great-great grandfather’s recipe.
Samuel Adams The Brewing the American Dream Collaboration Pack will be available nationally starting in late-July, 2017. Estimate retail price $16.99 to $19.99.
Image: Boston Beer Company
The “Rebel” that changed it call is a little different going forward. Samuel Adams Rebel IPA, which debuted in 2014, has been reformulated.
It has taken four years for the Boston brewery to tweak the changes to Samuel Adams Rebel IPA, in an undertaking called Project Lupulus. The experiment was put in place to work with new varieties of hops that aren’t yet available to the public. Hops are in extremely high demand, so finding a future winner for a recipe gives you an advantage on stock.
The hop variety that has risen from months and years of experimentation is HBC 566 and HBC682, two hops that are proprietary and exclusive to the brewery. HBC 566 boasts lemon, lime, and orange and eucalyptus flavors, while HBC 682 is used for bittering.
“This is the first time we’ve significantly changed the recipe of a flagship beer. As hop varieties evolve, we want to use the new varieties to keep brewing the best beer possible,”- Jim Koch, Founder – Boston Beer Company
In total, seven hops make the new Samuel Adams Rebel IPA – Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade, Chinook, Mosaic, HBC 566, and HBC 682. Caramel malt was also removed from the recipe, leaving only Two Row malt.
Samuel Adams Rebel IPA (reborn) is shipping nationally on draft and 12 bottles.
Hops: Simcoe, Centennial, Cascade, Chinook, Mosaic, HBC 566, and HBC 682
Availability: 12oz bottles, Draft
Debut (New Recipe): January, 2017
Samuel Adams Fresh As Helles, a new lager, will join the brewery’s lineup March, preceded by new seasonal Hopscape.
In the fall of 2016, the Boston, Massachusetts brewer created the first batches of Samuel Adams Fresh As Helles. The lager features Mandarina hops, and orange blossom petals.
In a special breakfast during this year’s Great American Beer Festival, Jim Koch introduced Fresh As Helles to a small group of attendees. The malt-forward boasts notes of honey and orange citrus. A winter seasonal, the citrus in the is beer will remind you that spring is not far behind.
Fresh as Helles is a refreshing light amber, medium-bodied helles brewed with Mandarina hops and orange blossom petals. The beer’s lively, citrus flavors pair perfectly with the changing season. Soft citrus notes of orange blossom add a bright accent to the slightly sweet honey malt notes, leading to a round, smooth finish.
Samuel Adams Fresh As Helles will be a 12 ounce bottle, can, and draft release starting in March instead of February.
5.4% ABV, 18 IBUs
Samuel Adams Hopscape, a hoppy American wheat ale slated for January, is hitting shelves.
The Boston, Massachusetts based brewery has two new seasonals headed to shelves over the next few months. The first – Hopscape. The base beer is an American wheat ale, brewed with four bold and juicy hops – Chinook, Centennial, Zeus, and Citra. The result is a soft wheat ale, with strong notes of pine and citrus.
The citrusy, piney, and resinous notes that the hops contribute to Samuel Adams Hopscape make it the perfect pairing for spicy foods, while its crisp wheat character balances the spice.
Samuel Adams Hopscape will be available starting in January in 12 ounce bottles, cans and draft.
Style: Wheat Ale
Hops: Chinook, Citra, Centennial, Zeus
Availability: 12oz Bottles, 12oz Cans. Draft. Seasonal Release.
Debut: January, 2016.
5.5% ABV, 30 IBUs
Samuel Adams Big Hapi, a beer honoring Red Sox all-star David Ortiz, debuts on Friday, November 4th.
David Ortiz, aka “Big Papi” played his last Major League Baseball game on October 2, 2016. Ortiz finishes his career with a .286 average, 541 career home runs, ranking17th on the MLB all-time home run list, 1,768 RBIs (22nd all-time). Among designated hitters, Ortiz is the all-time leader in MLB history for home runs (485), runs batted in (RBIs) (1,569), and hits (2,192).
To honor one of their hometown heroes, Jim Koch and his brewing team have created Samuel Adams Big Hapi, an imperial IPA brewed with mango juice.
“Over the years, I’ve been fortunate to watch David Ortiz hit homers out of the park while enjoying a cold Sam Adams. Now, I’m excited to toast to his record-setting career with Big Hapi Double IPA. We’re thrilled to honor our hometown baseball hero by doing what we do best, brewing beer, and giving craft beer and baseball fans a commemorative brew to honor an extraordinary legend.” – Jim Koch, Boston Beer founder.
541 bottles of Samuel Adams Big Hapi will be available at the brewery on November 4th starting at 2 pm. All proceeds from the sale will go to the David Ortiz Children’s Fund.
Samuel Adams Rebel Juiced debuts today, Halloween 2016.
Bold tropical hops are the focus of this latest addition to the Boston brewery’s lineup. If Mosaic, Mandarina, and Zeus hops don’t do the trick, the brewery adds a touch of mango puree for an extra burst of juice.
At 55 IBUs, the hop varieties below were selected for the tropical aromas and juicy flavors they impart rather than for their bitterness. Zeus hops were used in the kettle and the Mosaic & Mandarina hops were used to dry hop.
Samuel Adams Rebel Juiced debuts on October 31st on draft nationally starting today. 12 ounce bottles will follow in January, 2017.
Availability: Draft until January, 2017. 12oz Bottles. Year-round
Debut: Halloween, 2016
6.2% ABV, 55 IBUs
Sam Adams Ginger Beer looks to be in the Boston brewery’s future.
What was once a traditionally non-alcoholic brew has gained a good bit of popularity in the United States as an alcoholic beverage.
Recent industry releases in the ginger beer category include Not Your Father’s Ginger Ale, and Nashville brewed Wild Ginger.
While ginger beer may seem like a unique niche in the alcohol market, Boston Beer Company is no stranger to experimentation. In addition to their successful Boston Lager and various IPA’s, the brewery has made everything from mead to radlers as well as launched the Nitro Can Series. All on top of releasing one of the most expensive beers in the American market – Utopias.
Sam Adams Ginger Beer is slated to be a limited release. The brewery has not yet announced this offering.
Style: Ginger Beer
Availability: 12oz Bottles, Draft.