It’s been 38 years since the last mainland U.S. solar eclipse. The path of totality begins on the Oregonian coast and heads east on August 21st. In honor of this occasion, and since hop harvest has already begun, one brewery is commemorating the eclipse in a special way.
Portland,Oregon based Hopworks Urban Brewery will be harvesting fresh hops during the solar event, on Goschie Farms in the Willamette Valley. The hops pulled from the vine during totality will be trucked over to the brewery and added to the brite tank in just hours.
This coming Friday, the brewery will release HUB Total Blackout, an imperial cascadian dark ale (think black IPA) in 22-ounce bottles. The eclipse may not have any effect on the hops, but you can still enjoy a bit of the astronomical magic in a bottle.
HUB Total Blackout will be available at the brewery’s Powell location starting August 25th.
Style: Black IPA
Availability: 22oz Bottles
New Belgium celebrates 25 years of operation this year. That’s 25 years of brewing their flagship offering, Fat Tire as well. The Colorado based brewery marks the occasion with a 6-way collaboration.
New Belgium has tapped some longtime brewing friends to help, creating a their own spin on Fat Tire. Allagash, Avery Brewing, Firestone Walker, Hopworks Urban Brewery, and Rhinegeist are all involved, leaving their own fingerprint on the now 25 year old brew.
- Allagash Brewing is producing a version of Fat Tire using a Belgian yeast sourced form the Poperings region and a touch of the Allagash house Brettanomyces – expect notes of stone fruit, sweet tart and peppercorn.
- Avery Brewing will focus on a fruitier hop bill also with a dose of brett evoking notes of apricot and pineapple.
- Firestone Walker Brewing is creating a west coast interpretation of Fat Tire with an assertive hop profile and a light lager yeast.
- Hopworks Urban Brewery (HUB) is creating a tart Fat Tire bringing in apple and lactobacillus to help highlight that beautiful green apple snap inherent to the original Fat Tire.
- Rhinegeist has transformed Fat Tire into a Belgian XPA, combining a fruity Belgian yeast strain with bready-sweet European and Colorado malts for a beer to please hopheads and wine drinkers alike.
This June, mixed 12 packs featuring two of each interpretation will be distributed, just prior to New Belgium’s 25th Anniversary. (Parties to be announced.)
Hopworks Motherland Russian Imperial Stout bottles have returned. The beer is a part of the brewery’s Imperial Series.
A fortifying tonic for the people. Rich and smooth, Motherland is as black as a Siberian winter night but warming enough to weather it. Aromas of anise and cherry mingle with bittersweet chocolate and a warming, spicy finish. Answer the call and raise a glass to Motherland.
Hopworks Motherland Russian Imperial Stout is a 22 ounce bottle offering.
Style: Russian Imperial Stout
Availability: 22oz Bottles, Draft. Nov-Jan
Release: November, 2015
Hopworks Urban Brewery IPX- El Dorado