Sierra Nevada (Chico, CA) Celebration, a perennial favorite, returns on October 15th. Celebration is a fresh-hop ale, something the brewery wants to clarify. Wet-hopped beers have hops that are freshly picked, and added to the beer undried within 24 hours. Fresh-hopped, in the case of Celebration Ale, are freshly dried hops from the field within 7 days of harvest.
We started brewing our beloved Celebration IPA in 1981, and it depends on the first hops of the annual harvest to capture the powerful pine and citrus aromas that are a hallmark of winter at our brewery. Let’s get festive with one of the earliest examples of an American IPA.
You’ll notice 2014 brings an artwork update. Sierra Nevada Celebration season kicks off in the brewery’s tap room on October 15, 2014.
Style: American IPA
Hops: Chinook, Centennial, Cascade
Malts: Two Row Pale, Caramel
Availability: 12oz Bottles, Draft. Late Fall/Winter.
6.8% ABV, 65 IBUs
Lucky Town Brewing (Jackson, MS) will launch Ballistic Blonde in cans in November, 2014.
Lucky Town Ballistic Blonde is a Belgian style blonde ale, popular since it was first introduced in 2012.
“Ballistic Blonde sales have done so well in Mississippi that we knew we would have to offer it in cans once we started packaging,” said Chip Jones, co-founder of Lucky Town Brewing.”
Lucky Town Ballistic Blonde will be available in 12oz/6, and draft year round.
Style: Belgian Blonde
Hops: Pearle, Styrian Goldings
Malts: Belgian Pilsner, Munich, Biscuit, Melanoiden
Availability: Draft (Current) Cans (November, 2014)
5.2% ABV, 31 IBUS
Great Raft Brewing (Shreveport, LA) will launch a new can – Reasonably Corrupt, in November. This will be the third year round can offering.
Great Raft Reasonably Corrupt is a black lager, an offering the brewery never expected to give the 365 treatment. A sleeper hit, if you will.
“We never anticipated canning Reasonably Corrupt as a year-round offering, but our fan base has been loud and clear,” said Andrew Nations, co-founder and president of Great Raft Brewing.
While Resonably Corrupt has already been available on draft, six pack cans hit retailers just after Halloween. The brewery commissioned Status Serigraph of Knoxville, Tennessee with typography from DeRouen & Co. of Austin, Texas.
The name? A jab a Louisiana politics.
Hops: Fuggle, Hallertau
Malts: Premium Pilsen, Chocolate, Caramel, Munich
Availability: Draft (Current) Cans (November, 2014)
5.5% ABV, 30 IBUS
America’s only Trappist brewery will soon distribute in the state of Georgia. Massachusett’s based Spencer Trappist has signed a new distribution deal with Atlanta Beverage and Eagle Rock to bring their (currently one offering) to the state.
Details are currently being finalized, but the distributors tell Beer Street Journal they are wrapping up all the legal documents to push forward.
Of the 180 Trappist monasteries in the world, only 9 are also breweries. Those 9 are Chimay, Rochefort, Orval, Achel, Westmalle, Westvleteren, Koningshoeven, Stift Engelzell, and now Spencer. The International Trappist Organization recognizes these breweries as Trappist, and each carry the Trappist logo on their bottles. None are in the United States. Until now.
The Saint Joseph Abbey added the brewery, under the advisement of Chimay.
Spencer has just one offering right now, Spencer Trappist Ale, a Belgian-style pale ale, packaged in 11.2oz bottles.
Ballast Point Brewing Victory at Sea returns this Friday. The imperial porter is brewed with vanilla beans, and coffee. It never sticks around very long.
Our Victory at Sea Imperial Porter is a bold, smooth brew with just the right amount of sweetness. We infused this robust porter with whole vanilla beans and San Diego’s own Caffe Calabria coffee beans. The subtle roasted notes and minimal acidity of the cold brewed coffee, balances perfectly with the sweet caramel undertones of the malt, creating a winning combination for your palate.
Ballast Point Victory at Sea is available in 22oz bottles and draft. The brewery teased fans this week by saying it might become a year round offering. We can always hope.
Friendly reminder that Great American Beer Festival tickets go on sale today at 12 noon EST.
The beer fest, largest of it’s kind, is held annually in Denver, Colorado. This year, GABF expects more than 700 breweries pouring, and an even larger competition spanning 90 categories.
For tickets, hit Ticketmaster.com (opens in new window).
Image via the Brewer’s Association
Stone Brewing Co. (Escondido, CA) has unlocked a new “Groundbreaking Collaboration” beer, this time with Alesmith Brewing. What is the beer? Well, we don’t know yet. Stone promises a beer “that they’re going to make you a beer that will take time and a lot of money to brew it, and it will be worth that time and money. They have a great track record, after all!”
Your $30 dollar purchase of a 1.5 Liter bottle gets you all of what’s below:
- Voucher for one (1) 1.5-liter bottle of beer, which is the size of two 750-milliliter bottles (yay, math!). Such a deal for what will be an awesome beer.
- AleSmith and Stone promise that they’re going to make you a beer that will take time and a lot of money to brew it, and it will be worth that time and money. They have a great track record, after all!
- Incredible “Team Stone for a Day” benefit when you (or your mule) pick up the beer: choose from 50% off in our Stone Brewing World Bistro & Gardens restaurant (up to $50 value) OR 40%-50% off on merchandise at our Stone Company Store (up to $200 value!). Your call.
- An official Thank-you with your name in the credits of the video we will make to document the brew day for this beer featuring Peter and Greg.
- $10 Gift Card to AleSmith that won’t expire for a good ten years.
- Wow, this is good stuff, and to be honest, once you do the math you’ll see you’d kinda be nuts to pass it up. Or a fizzy yellow beer drinker.
- If you live in Europe, then shipping beer direct to you isn’t the legal tangle it is in the U.S. So, when we notify you that the beer is ready, you’ll have the option to choose to pay to have it shipped to you. (But you’ll probably want to come pick it up in person, as you’d miss out on the awesome aforementioned Team Stone for a Day benefit!)
- Pickup locations include: Stone Company Store – Escondido, Stone Company Store – Pasadena, Stone Company Store – Berlin and Stone’s yet-to-be-determined location East of the Mississippi. You don’t have to decide now which pickup spot you want. We’ll ping you for your choice once the beer is ready.
- No worries about a narrow pickup window: You (or your mule) will have ONE (1) YEAR from the date it becomes available to pick it up.
Buy It Now (Opens in new window)